Christmas was exciting this year as it was Audrey's 3rd and Ellie's 2nd (but like Ellie's 1st because last year she was all of about a month old). I was especially looking forward to both their faces, but particularly Audrey's, when they (she) saw what Santa had brought them (her). (Not to mention being able to reclaim my closet and bedroom since it was in those locations that Santa chose to stash the presents).
I got up at 6am after having gone to bed at about 1 or 1:30am. I showered and started to get ready before needing to get the breakfast casseroles in the oven for brunch later that morning. I also wanted to have everything in place- Christmas tree lights on, Christmas music playing, the inflatable snowglobe snowing, the Nutcraker dancers dancing on their little stage, and the camera ready to capture their faces. We had put the gate up at the end of the hall just so I could get a head start at getting in to position to snap the best Christmas morning shots.
When Audrey woke up, she remembered that Santa was supposed to come. She excitedly agreed to go potty first then, with the help of her sister, go out to the family room to see if Santa came. I hopped over the gate, grabbed my camera, and got in place while David gathered the girls and took the gate down. Slowly the girls crept out into the family room, looking around and trying to process what they were seeing. They were quiet. I was expecting their feet to barely be able to run fast enough and for their squeals to be loud enough my ears would hurt but, no. It was silent.
I asked, "What do you think, Audrey? Did Santa come?" Audrey gently replied, "No," as she shuffled her way further into the family room.
I responded, "No? How did all these presents get here? And who ate Santa's cookies and the reindeer's carrots? Look they're gone!" With a gasp and wide eyes, Audrey's attention shifted to the large plate she had left for Santa, which read "Cookies for Santa...Carrots for the Reindeer". She was speechless! And of course Ellie just wanted to play with the plate, she has little comprehension of the day.
"But where is Santa?" Audrey asked.
"Ohhh," I thought to myself, "She thought Santa was going to be here. How precious!" We did tell her that Santa was coming and attempted to explain (especially via the song "Santa Clause is Coming to Town") that Santa comes at night when boys and girls are sleeping. But it really hadn't sunk in to her- Santa was supposed to be there.
"Santa already came! He came during the night while we were all sleeping. Come see what Santa brought you!" David and I excitedly explained to Audrey. "Ohhh!" she responded, with complete compliance. Both girls opened presents and were so pleased with what they got for Christmas- Audrey a tricycle, Ellie an oversized plush chair, and for the two of them together, a table and chairs set. Santa had even left a little note for each of them.
Each present was a hit but, more importantly, Audrey could also answer the question, "What is Christmas about?"
"Jesus' birthday!" she would answer and then either go about her business or talk about the cupcakes that we had made for Jesus' birthday. Yea!!!
Later that day Audrey lead us all in singing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus and helped Ellie and her cousins blow out Jesus' candles.
Hopefully between the carrots for the reindeer, the cupcakes for Jesus, and another Christmas experience under their belts, the girls will have fond memories and new Christmas traditions established; especially for the purposes of honoring our Savior's birth. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment